How to upgrade to version 15.03 (using 15.02)
Start Pythagoras, ignore the messagebox that tells you there is an update. Go to Help - Check for updates, follow the onscreen instructions, and the update will be completed successfully.
There is an issue in version 15.02 where the automatic updates on startup no longer works. A messagebox will appear, indicating that an update is available, but it's not possible to complete the update. Pressing a button in the messagebox will not do anything. This issue is solved in 15.03. From version 15.03, updating will work normal again.
How come I cannot log in
Create a new account via "Create an account".
Our website has been renewed recently, and all old account information has been lost.
How to install Version 15
How to change the background color from black to white or from white to black
Press SHIFT + B, or go to Settings - Preferences - Other and change the checkbox "Black background".
How to create a PDF
Pythagoras doesn't have a build-in option to create PDF files. A third-party program is required. There are several good PDF printers available, but we have the best experience with the standard "Microsoft Print To PDF" that is build in Windows 7, 8 and 10.
To create a PDF: in Pythagoras, go to File - Sheets - Manage sheets, and set the printer to the PDF printer.
Go to File - Print and press OK. A dialog now pops up, that will let you choose a location to save the PDF file.
How to install Pythagoras in Mac OS
Pythagoras requires Windows to run. Mac is not supported.
There’s an easy solution to this: running a virtual machine with Windows that runs inside your Mac operating system. Parallels is virtualization software with which we have the best experience. You run Parallels on your Mac operating system. Inside Parallels, the Windows operating system runs.
When running virtual machines, it is importing to look at your amount of RAM memory in your computer. You should have 8 GB: 4GB for your Mac operating system, and 4 GB for your Windows operating system.
You can buy Parallels here: http://www.parallels.com/
The installation of Windows in Parallels is described here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4729
Note: the Pythagoras Trial version does not run on virtual machines.
How to backup system files
You plan to re-install Windows, or you just want to be save and have a backup of all system files ?
In Pythagoras, go to File - Configure - Advanced. Click "Backup" and select an appropriate folder to store the backup files. This will backup the macro library, the symbol library, the users defaults and the general settings.
When using the Geocoding module, you also have to backup your CDF-file. This has to be done manually. The path of your current CDF file can be found in the menu Settings - Preferences - Data collector - Code description.
How to restore symbol library / macros / settings after new installation
Your computer got re-installed with Windows, or you got a new computer?
- First, follow the FAQ "How to backup system files" on your old computer.
- On your new computer, open Pythagoras, and go to File - Configure - Advanced.
- Click "Restore" and select the folder you created with the first step.
When using the Geocoding module, you also have to restore your CDF-file. This has to be done manually. The CDF file has to be set via the menu Settings - Preferences - Data Collector - Code description.
What are the hardware requirements to run Pythagoras
The recommended hardware requirements are:
- 8 GB RAM
- Quad Core 3 GHz
- Screen with 1920x1200 resolution
- Dedicated graphic card with 500MB memory, required only when working with the 3D environment
How to set a custom paper size
- Go to File - Sheets - Sheet manager.
- Select a printer which allows custom paper sizes, for instance PDF.
- Select "Printer properties".
- Select the tab "Paper/Quality".
- Click the "Advanced" button.
- In the "Paper Size" dropdownlist, choose "Postscript Custom Page Size"
- Set your Width and Height, and leave the menu's by pressing "OK".
How to install a macro
- Download the macro from Downloads - Pythagoras macro's.
- Open the Pythagoras drawing in the ZIP file. This drawing contains the macro.
- In case of an error message "The document is read-only ...", press "Yes".
- In case of an error message "This document contains a startup macro...", press "Yes".
- Go to Settings - Macros - Macro Library Manager.
- Set "Document libraries" active on top.
- Press the "> System" button.
- In case of an error message "Library with same name exists. Overwrite? " press "Yes".
- The macro can now be loaded from the Active Settings toolbar:
How to handle a "Runtime Error" when loading a macro
A "Runtime error" is an error in the macro when trying to load it. It is most most likely caused by the macro not being up-to-date, or your Pythagoras version not being up-to-date.
- Check if your Pythagoras version is up-to-date via Help - Check for updates.
- Restart Pythagoras. This automatically updates the macros.
It is recommended to enable Automatic Updates. This can be done via File - Configure - Automatic update.
How to import a coordinate list in GPS coordinates (WGS84 – coordinates)
- Open your coordinate list in a text editor, for instance Notepad or Notepad++, or Excel.
- Check the units of the angle: is it decimal degrees, or degrees-minutes-seconds?
- In Pythagoras, set the angle to the same unit:
- Go to Settings > Preferences.
- Your angle setting should be DEC in case of decimal degrees, or DMS in case of degrees-minutes-seconds.
- It is required that the format of the coordinate list file is POINTNUMBER - LATITUDE - LONGITUDE. A Z-value is optional. So, if necessary, edit your file in Excel to add a POINTNUMBER column.
- In Pythagoras, set a Coordinate Reference System by going to Settings > Document Settings > Coordinate Reference System.
- Set a CRS system (CRS = Coordinate Reference System, like UTM). It doesn't matter which one, but it’s logical you choose one appropriate for the country or area the coordinates are located in.
- In the control panel, set "WGS84" active.
- Then you can import your data using File > Import > Coordinate List.
- Select the first option if the file does not contain Z-values, select the second option if the file does contain Z-values.
- Select the coordinate list file.
- The points will now be imported in Pythagoras, while their coordinates are converted to the CRS.
Why does printing this sheet fails
When printing, you get the error message: "Printing of these sheets has failed. "
This is most likely caused because the drawing is created by someone else, who has configured a different printer.
You have to reconfigure your printer via File - Sheets - Sheet manager. Reselect the printer you want to use. It might also be required to reselect the paper size.
Why can't I import this TIFF
There are two types of TIFF. We support only one type.
To solve this, open the TIFF in PAINT, and do a "Save As"and save it with another name. Paint then writes the TIFF in a decent TIFF-format, which we can import.
Which Windows version is compatible with Pythagoras?
- Pythagoras 15 is compatible with Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
- Pythagoras 14 is compatible with Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
- Pythagoras 13 is compatible with Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
- Pythagoras 12 is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (as from Service Pack 2).
- Pythagoras 11 is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000.
Why does the "copy attributes" tool not change the Default Attributes?
Selecting a line and clicking will make sure its attributes are copied to the clipboard. These attributes are NOT stored in the Default Attributes, but are stored “invisible” on the clipboard.
Copying of attributes can be achieved in 3 different ways. First select an object, then:
- OR use the shortcut Shift + Control + c
- OR use right mouse button → Copy attributes
Pasting attributes. First select one or more objects, then:
- OR use the shortcut Shift + Control + v
- OR click the right mouse button → Paste attributes.
Copying and pasting the attributes using this method will make sure the Default Attributes are not altered.
Copy/Paste Default Attributes
Copying the attributes of a selected object to the Default Attributes is handy when you want to create new objects with the exact same attributes. This can be achieved by selecting one object, then:
- Use the shortcut Shift + Control + Doubleclick.
- OR click the right mouse button → Copy to Default Attributes.
Pasting can be achieved by selecting one or more objects, then:
- Use the shortcut Shift + Doubleclick.
- OR click Right mouse button → Paste to Default Attributes.
How do the improved Drawing Tools work?
Drawing tools that existed in more than one variant, are now collected in one dropdown button.
The dropdown button tools operate by a click-and-hold principle: click once to activate the tool, click and hold to activate the underlying tool.
These buttons are new for:
- Text + Rich text
- Aligned text + aligned rich text
- Create spirals
- Cut off inside
- Cut off outside
How to install a Software License
This FAQ describes the steps that need to be taken in order to install Pythagoras and to activate the software license. In short:
- Download and install the Pythagoras software.
- Activate the software license.
- The software license is bound to the computer on which the software license is activated.
- The following actions will result in a loss of the license:
- Formatting the hard disk.
- Re-installation of Windows.
- A crash of the hard disk.
These steps are described in the FAQ "How to install Pythagoras".
Start Pythagoras. There are 2 different situations:
- The trial license has expired.
- The trial license is still active.
1. The trial license has expired
- Start Pythagoras
- Copy and paste the Product Key that you received by email:
- Click install and Close
- Restart Pythagoras. Pythagoras should now work.
2. The trial license is still active
- Go to Help – About Pythagoras – License info:
- Go to the tab ‘Install new key’, and copy and paste the Product Key that you received by email:
- Press ‘Install’ and ‘Close’.
- Restart Pythagoras.
- The trial license will remain active for the rest of the period, after that the software license becomes active.